Social Media is the Most Effective Digital Marketing Channel in B2B, but Marketers Struggle with the Demands
Working with Circle Research and The Marketing Society, Omobono conducted the study in which 115 business marketers were asked in depth questions about their marketing objectives and activities. Key topics of the research covered include budgets, challenges and a closer look at newer channels such as mobile.
The findings highlight that social media is held up as most effective channel – 79% rated it as effective (vs. the 64% 3 years ago). However, only 16% of B2B marketers are confident in their ROI measurement.
The research findings also include:
- B2B marketers’ top priority is thought leadership (63%) followed by customer relationships (61%)
- Over half don’t spend a penny of digital budget on mobile channels
- Mobile spend has barely increased since 2011 – from 4% of digital marketing budgets to 7% this year
- If they had extra budget in the next year, 39% of marketers would spend it on mobile (apps or optimisation) and 38% would spend it on social media
- 1 in 3 B2B marketers don’t measure ROI
- Nearly half (48%) say that their marketing team lacks analytics and reporting skills
The main challenges in digital for B2B marketers:
- Lack of resources to produce digital content (48%)
- Measuring the effectiveness of digital activities (44%)
- Lack of digital skills and expertise in house (43%)